The temple is approached by a dramatic 200m (650') long sandstone causeway, raised on pillars, which was probably constructed after the temple was built. The platform leads through the east gopura, an arched gateway leading to the temple courtyards, to the temple mountain itself.
The Baphuon is one of the first temples to employ a cruciform sanctuary and covered galleries. At the rear of the temple, on the west side, is an enormous 16th century reclining Buddha.
In 1296, Zhou Daguan described Baphuon as a great tower, made of bronze, that was “truly marvellous to behold”.