Banteay Kdei (Khmer: ប្រាសាទបន្ទាយក្តី, ‘the citadel of cells’) was built in the late 12th century under Jayavarman VII, and expanded in the early 13th century under his successor, Indravarman II (reign 1218-1243/1270).
Hundreds of buried Buddha statues have been excavated from the site.
Banteay Kdei is quite similar to Ta Prohm Temple in design but on a much smaller scale. The temple area is enclosed by a large laterite wall, 700 m by 500 m, and has three main enclosures. Like Ta Prohm Temple it contains a Hall of Dancers.